Thursday, 3 October 2013

Author Interview: Diamond Drake, Author of Imagined Love

Day 3 and our second author interview.

We have Diamond Drake, author of Imagined Love

Willa Caldwell jumps in and out of her volatile and sometimes violent marriage seemingly unaware of the affects her actions have on daughter Jade. Lonely and insecure, Jade often falls prey to those eager to take advantage of her desperate need for love and acceptance. And both she and Willa endure heartache at the hands of those who claim to love them most.
As a young adult Jade decides toleave her hometown of Gary, IN, as well as the pain of her past to start anew in sunny California. Sadly, things don't go ashoped and she's left wondering if she'll ever experience real love or if it will always be... Imagined Love.
Amazon || BN.com || Goodreads || Kobo || Sony Bookstore
My Review

Tell us about yourself
I'm Diamond Drake, the author of three chick-lit novels; Imagined Love, For the Love of Jade (sequel), and Love's Fool. I was born and raised in Gary, IN but I now reside in northern California with my husband of seventeen years, two teenaged daughters, and two dogs.

One thing about you that's not in your bio
Diamond Drake is my pen name.

Have you always aspired to publish a novel? Which writers inspire/influence you?
Yes, I've ALWAYS wanted to publish novels! In the first grade I vowed to my granny that I would do it and I talked about it every day!

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
The toughest criticism I ever received came from one of my editors. She basically told me I "talk" too much and needed to learn how to get to the point.
The best compliment came from a group of readers who told me they changed their lives because of something one of my characters did. I still cry when I think about that.

If you could have dinner with anyone, past or present, fictional or real, who would it be? Why?
If I could have dinner with anyone it would probably be Nicholas Sparks. I'd love to know the secret to having so many of his novels made into major movies. That has to be an amazing feeling!

What book(s) are you reading at present?
I'm currently reading Football Widows by Pat Tucker and my own novel, Love's Fool. I'm gearing up to write the sequel and need to get re-acquainted with the characters.

For the Love of Jade won the 2013 International Book Award Winner for the African American category? How was that experience for you?
Winning the 2013 International Book Award has been a great experience. It's validating in a lot of ways. And I find that readers respond differently to me as well. They're more willing to give my work a chance.

Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
I think the cover plays a huge role in whether a reader will buy your book or not. As much we say don't judge a book by its cover, we often do.

Which of your characters do you relate to the most? Are any of them based on people you know?
The character I relate to most is definitely Jade from Imagined Love. That book was heavily based on my own life so I have a special connection with her.

What’s next for you? Any works in the making that readers should know about?
Currently, I'm working on my fourth and fifth novesl. One is the sequel to my last book and the other, Love's Choice, will introduce readers to a whole new cast of crazy characters! I love Dwight and Robin Haughton! haha

Random
Favorite season - fall.
Favorite dessert - cake!
Favorite book by another author - The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks
Favorite book that I wrote - Hmmm ... that's hard to answer. I love them all for different reasons.
Random fact - Let's see... oh, I'm absolutely terrified of opening a can of biscuits! I hate when it pops so I have my husband or daughter do it for me!

Author

Diamond Drake, the author of For the Love of Jade, is known for her emotionally gripping tales. Born and raised in Gary, IN, she currently resides in Stockton, CA with her husband, two daughters, and two dogs.
Amazon || Facebook || Goodreads || LinkedIn || Shelfari || Twitter || Website Enter giveaway here

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Please leave a comment. Comments make me happy